FORUM

What's with your speed limits ?

Last year I went to Florida on business. Wanting to see the countryside I hired a Bugatti Veyron for the drive from Orlando to Miami. I needn't have bothered. Putting to one side your ridiculous speeding restrictions, that journey was the most boring I have ever undertaken. I may be mistaken, but I recall that road as being the flattest and straightest I have ever known. Not only that but for most of it it was bordered by fields growing a crop that made it seem like driving down a green and yellow tunnel. It was so boring that I fell asleep at the wheel and only woke up when the Bug was travelling sideways along the dirt strip bordering the road at about 70 MPH.

Luckily neither the car or I was damaged, but I had clearly ripped something loose from the underside and it kept catching on the road surface. When I got to my hotel in Miami I gave the parking valet a hundred bucks to get the car fixed overnight. He did. Next year I'll fly.

I can't wait to take the Aston to Italy later in the year. I go there most every Summer and can really let her off the leash ! Not only that, but the respect my DB9 Volante gets is enormous. Typically, for example........ Last year in Sienna I stopped at a smart restaurant for lunch. The car park was crowded so I parked at the side of the road. Perusing the menu and sipping an ice cold glass of Prosecco, I found the patron at my elbow. "Excuse me, sir ", he enquired, "do you own the Aston Martin ? ". Oh, bloody Hell, I thought, some daft bugger has side swiped it ! Not a bit of it ! He wanted to move his Bentley GTC from in front of the restaurant and park the Aston there and take some pictures. I gave him the keys. Not only did we get a first class lunch gratis, but we drove away with a crate of Prosecco in the boot !

Being pretty well traveled, I can only say that the speed limits in the USA are probably here for a reason. Too many people who'd ruin the fun for the rest of us. It does make for some boring drives between cities far apart, but that's what planes are for. Nothing much to be excited about straight line roads! As a motorcyclist, it's always better to take the twisty routes

Quote Originally Posted by Salt Flat Rat View Post
    Not only that, but the respect my DB9 Volante gets is enormous.
    Speaking of respect, I came out of a nightclub one Friday about 3am to find a guy 'asleep' in front of my Ferrari, I asked the bouncer what was up and he told me the guy was going to take a leak on my car so he knocked him out. Respect!